Translate

miércoles, 3 de abril de 2013

Fruiticide (English)


First at all, I must apologize for my english. I just want to share with you my experience while I was making the graphics for this indie game.

Everything started one day, in which my friend Jonay shared with me an idea that was born as a result from a simple conversation with Firenz (Alicia). She explained an amusing argument about fruits.
The little story is about fruits that are trying to prevent that some unflavoured foodstuffs (jellies, candies, chewing gum, yogurt, etc) squeeze them, to put flavour to themselves. They're trying to become foodstuffs with many kinds of fruit flavour.

The whole idea was born (by Alicia), in order to learn how to use Unity3D.

From that simple idea of making a Beat'em up with this simple story, little by little, was born a project which turned into a big stuff.

Jonay assigned me to create the graphics of the game. The graphics had certain restrictions to keep an aspect similar to 8-bit videogames. 3 colors + black per Tile and Sprite, with the NES/Famicom colors palette.


I also liked the idea of making a game with retro style. I got nostalgic.

Jonay decided the lead characters to be a pineapple and one coconut. The pineapple, was named as Pineknuckles. The coconut, was named as CocoCrunch.

Jonay sent me this funny coconut, just as a reference of the character's concept that he was looking for.



Yes, just imagine something like the Fruittis. That was the initial idea. Despite the fact that I personally show a deep respect towards the Fruittis cartoons -for having taken place in mostly of my childhood-, I couldn't imagine a Beat'em up about it, or something alike. It is well known that the Beat'em up it's a videogame genre that stand out for containing violence.
In fact, violence is the essence of a Beat'em up game.




I made an effort to imagine a substitute of that 'cute' pineapple named Gazpacho (a.k.a Roly in the U.K version) and that banana named Mochilo (a.k.a Pak in the U.K version) with an absolutely violent expression... But it was very hard to me. It's hard for me to imagine a childlike character, transformed into something violent. I would be kind of creepy; sinister.

The idea didn't match inside my head; therefore, it didn't awoke my interest in this project - still - neither my motivation.


I thought: "Well, is another job, but I would prefer it to be different. I'll have to talk with Jonay".



When I started to think about cartoons from my childhood that were related to the martial arts, I found a few options. One of them was Dragon Ball. But Dragon Ball just didn't have nothing to do about this project. I was looking for something different.  But there are other series that I used to love when I was a child, and maybe that one had the ingredient that I were looking for.


No, guys, is nothing about that pizza.

I didn't took so long to remember about some (16-bit) Beat'em up videogames. Games such like Battletoads, also the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles arcade game. Is obvious what's my point.



In my opinion, this game shouldn't have child aesthetics. It match much more to be a game about mutant fruits. Hybrid, muscular and charismatic fruits. With their own personality; and few features that make people remember about the 80's.

A guy wearing a leather jacket and sunglasses, and a muscular WWF's wrestler.




When I showed my point of view to Jonay, he gave me some confidence and total freedom to design the characters in my own way. I liked that, because I always wanted to do a Beat'em up videogame. I also wanted to do something with some creative freedom.  
Designing characters as I'd like them to be.


While I had several personal problems, there appeared Miss Khioora (Sabrina). There was a short talk in which there was an insinuation about the possibility to work together. I already wanted to work with her in a past, but for life circumstances, it could not be possible at that time
I was quite surprised when I suddenly hear about Khioora got a commision to do part of this project. I liked it and it was a pleasure for me to know that she would work on the project. My motivation grew up constantly, I felt comfortable. 

She also was the responsible of designing a new character called Candy Straw. A strawberry that will adopt the role of the victim in this instalment of Fruiticide.


Just like in Double Dragon, she is kidnapped by Don Puddy's minions.



Don Puddy is the final boss of the game. A mobster with a custard head.
Jonay wanted this character's design to be a clear reference to the last boss of Street Of Rage




The further task of Kihoora, was to create the promotional poster of the project. She had to reach the spirit and the style of those covers of our old 8-bit and 16-bit glories.

I think she got it.


The intention about the gameplay is to reach it's own personality, with te base than would be typical of a Beat'em up game. Also with additives which make the player feel a huge difference beetween both characters. This version of the game will have only 2 characters. Those already mentioned above.

Each character has different skills. Cococrunch, will have few special techniques typical of the WWF wrestlers. Pineknuckles will have another kind of special skills, such like throwing things and adrenaline-related attacks.



In my side, I left behind the animations to create the backgrounds. I have had help from Celia F. (a.k.a Sapo). She is also doing things for the backgrounds. I am so thankful to her, because of the help that she brings me, I have not been so overwhelmed to have the progress in a good place. That is why I am very grateful and happy to have her support in everything. Everything.

There are a total of 8 stages (I think). So there are still work to do.



 I need to do the animations of 4 characters to finish with all the characters. Generally, I am satisfied with the progress of the game. I feel confortable working with these people above-mentioned (each and every one). I feel good; I love the project.  

I wish all my last jobs had been this way. But it is obvious that sometimes we just have to go with what we got.




I'll be waiting to know who will finally be official musician of the project...

And this is the brief history that I had with the project at the moment. I hope to upload the uncoming progress soon

Greetings everyone.

6 comentarios:

Ito dijo...

Buenas!

Te comento aquí mismo en lugar de la entrada en español, espero que no te importe.

La verdad que desde que mostraste hace unos meses los primero sprites del Fruiticide ya me intrigaba mucho el proyecto que estáis llevando a cabo... y los detalles que nos adelantas hoy me hacen estar casi seguro de que será una pasada de juego xD

Soy un fan de la saga Streets Of Rage desde pequeñito, y al igual que ese título, disfruté en mi infancia (qué coño, y ahora) de muchos otros beat'em ups como el Double Dragon, Golden Axe, Sengoku 3, etc...

Me encanta la estética noventera que le estáis dando al juego. Esos callejones son tan Streets of Rage que sólo con verlos suena en mi cabeza la banda sonora de Yuzo Koshiro :)

Como no hace falta que te diga, los sprites están de puta madre, siendo las animaciones muy buenas y fluídas. En particular, me gusta mucho como resuelves la definición con tan pocos colores por sprite.

Es curioso el efecto óptico que genera la utilización de sólo 3 tonos más negro por sprite, pero luego ver en los escenarios y en el resto de sprites otros colores distintos... es totalmente retro, pero al mismo tiempo más colorido y chillón... lo cual aumenta el aire noventero que el juego ya destila de por sí, y me encanta :).

Me pregunto si la música os la hará Aurial... sería una pasada.

Un saludo, y espero que actualices más a menudo, que me ha dado mucha alegría ver una entrada en la blogosfera makeriana.. a ver si yo puedo actualizar en breve también!

Marina Navarro Travesset dijo...

Qué alegría verte por aquí, Ito. Hacía mucho que no cruzaba unas palabras contigo. Espero que todo te esté yendo bien, por tu parte.

Pues bueno, nos estamos esforzando aunque paralelamente estoy también dejándome un poco el lomo en otras cosas.

La idea era conseguir que quienes prueben este juego, terminen suspirando un aliento nostálgico de dicha época que mencionas. Me está ayudando mi pareja, y además la mano de Pickpsy(Sabrina) también ha sido un acierto.

A mí también me encantaría que Aurialfuera el músico del proyecto, ya que bien sabe él (porque se lo dije) que si por mí fuera, toda la música se la pediría a él.

Pero hace tiempo que está "desaparecido", desde aquellas manifestaciones de los estudiantes chilenos, no me atreví a molestarlo. Supongo que quise que se centrara en sus estudios.

Ya veremos a ver quién será el músico. Jonay es el que esta a cargo de la producción en general, aparte de ser el programador (y Firenz creo que también meterá mano en la programación).

Un abrazo muy fuerte, Ito.

José Andrés dijo...

Me quito el sombrero Marina.
Os está quedando de puro lujo!
Bravísimo!
A ver si hablamos un día de estos y nos ponemos al día.
Un beso muy grande amiga mia!

EN.I dijo...

Iorana Marina.

Wau, tanto tiempo sin saber de ti y tus asuntos. Y mas aún, la felicidad se multiplica 2x al saber que estas involucrada en un proyecto de los de tu estilo con "muy buenos amigos".

Es curioso, pero se ve ya genial, siendo aun así un experimento de programación de Firenz ( quien dice que los experimentos y prototipos con casi siempre las cosas que dan a luz stuff espeluznante), y sobre tu trabajo y el de Kihoora se logra respirar ese aire que se quería dar en un principio, además colocandole ese sello personal tan peculiar tuyo (es como una especie de caricaturizar rasgos crudos de la vida real... no sabria realmente como decirlo), pero que el asunto que mezclado en cualquier contexto queda un tanto graciosillo con toques de factor "cool".

Mas tecnicamente no puedo comentar mucho... tu sabes, para el spriting soy algo asco xD... y ni idea como irá el equipo programaril con Unity. Pero lo que si puedo hacer es enviarle muchos animos, tanto a tí como al team entero. Hey! que insisto que ese es un buen equipo el que se ha formado, y que mas de algunas veces necesitaran algo de energias motivacionales... o algo.

Bueno... ya no te escribo mas para no hacer perder mas el tiempo xD, al igual que Ito, intentaré reactivarme mas por la blogosfera maker, que mi actividad se fue a la #$%& desde que me cambie a http://elsemieni.net ( ya cada vez muchisimo mas indie que maker) a ver si aún hay gente interesada en hacer cosas.

Muchos saludos y ( agrega cosas que puedas necesitar, como un café aquí).
Maururu... chaos.

Marina Navarro Travesset dijo...

Hey, muchas gracias EN.I!

Lo malo es que tengo tantas cosas pendientes, que a veces me bloqueo. Me ha ido bien hacer un reseteo mental (aunque no lo conseguí del todo) y centrarme por ahora en 2 prioridades. No puedo con todo, obviamente...

La cosa es que el equipo que trabaja en el juego, incluyendo el programador/productor, que es Jonay.... ha sido bueno. He estado agusto.

Si bien el maker hace muchísimo que no lo toco, me he implicado bastante en este proyecto, junto a los demás. Entre nuestras ideas y sugerencias, el juego ha evolucionado hasta llegar a esto.

Y bueno, luego en un ratito actualizo lo de tu página.

Muchas gracias tb a José Andrés por pasarte por aquí. Tengo algo que comentarte y enviarte :)

Bueno, pues eso es todo. Ojalá cuando Jonay saque la primera demo, os pueda gustar el juego. Estaremos abiertos a cualquier crítica, porque es muy importante antes de sacar el juego terminado.

Soeufans dijo...

Hey marina, tiene muy buena pinta!

Esos graficos al estilo retro, le dan un toque genial a lo "old School"

Por facebook he visto algunas publicaciones de ellos y va tomando buen camino el proyecto, espero salgo pronto! creo q dejara este jeugo un gran recorrido de babas! jejeje

(Por cierto, cuando tengas tiempo, ya me contaras que te parecio LoH ;) )

un saludo y fuerte abrazo!

Se ha producido un error en este gadget.